I wanted to make sure that my recovery time would be as fast and smooth as possible so I asked my personal trainer to create a meal plan for me. She said that it was important to have a clean colon and eat light (low sugar, low sodium, low carbs) before surgery so that I won’t have problems going poop because pain killers are notorious for constipation.
Following a nutrition plan 2 weeks before surgery, I ended up losing around 5 pounds and I had a lot more energy to take on the operation. That made me realize that not only could I lose some weight in 2 weeks…I could also gain it back! So I had to be disciplined…and I tried!
In a nutshell, I’ll be eating something every 3 hours and I had to control my portion sizes.
- Breakfast: Eggs for breakfast w/ 1 cup cooked oatmeal
- Snack 1: 1/2 apple with almond butter
- Lunch: 4 oz. grilled chicken + 1 cup veggies + barley or quinoa salad OR 3 eggs + vegan cheese + 1 cup veggies
- Snack 2: 1/4 cup mixed dark berries + 1 cup cooked oatmeal OR 1/8 pear + 1/8 banana
- Snack 3: 1/8 avocado with 1 egg
- Dinner: 4 oz. grilled chicken (or turkey) OR fish + 1 cup veggies
Drink lots of water. Exercise regularly (cardio and strength training).
I admit, however, that I occasionally ate a cookie here and there, but just a bite at a time.