It’s important to just relax and rest the day before surgery. Take care of at least 1 to 1-1/2 weeks of tasks, errands, etc. because won’t be physically able to do things.
The day before, I also had to go in and have blood drawn so that they know what my blood type is and can order blood from the blood bank in case they need it for surgery.
I also wasn’t allowed to eat anything solid after midnight. Since my surgery was scheduled to be at 12:30, they only allowed me to drink 8 oz. of water before 8am that morning. At this point, I was ready to get it over with and wasn’t nervous. I did a lot of yoga and stretching to relax.
- Trim your area to keep it neat. They will trim it down a little more before surgery
- Pay any bills that will be due within the next 2 weeks
- Wash your hair. You won’t be able to wash your hair for at least a week.
What to Pack (I stayed overnight for 2 nights)
- Power chargers to charge your phone, tablet, etc.
- Books, magazines, etc.
- Extra pads
- Pillow for the ride home (the seatbelt will go over the wound area and the pillow will pad it from the pressure).
- Loose clothing
- Drawstring pants
- Loose t-shirt or button-up shirt
- Slip on shoes/sandals that can be used for slippers
- Peppermint items to prevent nausea: gum, tea, mints, etc.
What the hospital should provide:
- Mesh underwear
- Sanitary Pads
- Blankets and pillows
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, lotion, washcloths