The doctor said that the second day would  be the worst day of all and she was right. During my first night (between day 1 and day 2), the night nurse came in to check my blood pressure and temperature (for infection) as well as give me my dose of painkillers (norco).  The first day, they injected the painkiller through my IV.

Log Rolling in the Night

In the early morning, she tried to roll me over to fill up the catheter, but she was really heavy-handed and my scar hurt A LOT.  Then later on, she wanted me to sit up to prevent blood clots and keep the blood flowing.  I had these air massagers on my legs to help circulation, but she said walking was the best way of getting blood to circulate.

She told me to “log roll” which meant that I had to try to move my body as 1-unit without twisting my abs. The first time I tried it, I experienced the most horrific pain around my wound. It felt like I was literally being stabbed across my belly.  I tried to pull myself up using the bed handles – BAD IDEA. That pulling gesture made my wound hurt just as badly.

After a few attempts, she suggested that I push off with my feet to rotate. I was moving s-l-o-w-l-y because every motion caused pain. Then the nurse tried to help. I know that she meant well, but she ended up pulling my legs before I was ready and it ended up causing even MORE pain. She wouldn’t stop even though I asked her to.  For my first attempt to get up, I couldn’t even sit myself up the and had to lie back down.

I was able to rest back in the bed and I started to wonder what I had done to myself because the pain was horrific. I’ve never felt a pain like that in my life…ever.

The Next Day

By morning, I had a new nurse and they removed the catheter in the morning. This nurse was a lot less aggressive and helped me get up. It still hurt A LOT and she said “It’s going to hurt. You have to get used to the pain.”  The pain was this searing/burning feeling and there was NO way I could get used to pain like she was saying.  It honestly felt like I was being stabbed to death.

I was able to sit up and walk over to the chair, which was exhausting. The rule was that I had to eat all meals in the chair. Once I sat down, the pain still hurt a lot, but if I didn’t move certain ways, I was able to tolerate the pain (it was a long sharp pain vs. short very intense pain).  I sat in the chair for all meals and rested in bed in-between.

I was able to shuffle to the bathroom where I went to the bathroom, pathetically washed my face and brushed my teeth which made me feel a lot better.  Walking was the worst part of the day and I dreaded it.

My boss and boyfriend came to visit me which was nice and I just stayed in my room and watched “America’s Next Top Model” reruns on VH-1.

Giving Birth to a Cantaloupe

The doctor came in to check in on me in the late afternoon. She told me about my surgery:

  • What was thought to be a simple procedure turned out to be complex. We thought I only had 1-6cm fibroid.  Turns out that my uterus was swollen and covered in hard fibroids that had developed over several years.
  • My uterus should be the size of a small pear, but it was the size of a cantaloupe.
  • The fibroids and uterine tissue was sticky due to swelling and it had attached itself to my bowels and other internal tissue so she had to dissect it.
  • Surgery should have been 1.5 hours and it ended up taking 2+ hours
  • Most people lose 1/3 of a Coke can of blood. I lost 1 entire Coke can of blood.

I’m so glad to have gotten that out of me!