Today is the day I went home. In the morning, I was still a little groggy and it still sucked getting out of bed. It took me around 5 minutes to simply sit up in bed. The only “improvement” was that I knew what actions to avoid because I knew that it would cause more pain.

I sat up in bed for breakfast and went for a walk a little too far down the hallway and I was in a lot of pain because I lost track of time and didn’t take my pain meds on time so I had to sit in bed for lunch. That reminded me that it was imperative that I stay on top of my meds…no matter what.

While things were still very difficult – getting out of bed, walking – there were small improvements that I noticed like a little less pain (minuscule amount), but it still hurt A LOT (like 6-8 out of 10 without meds and 3-4 out of 10 with meds).

My wound was covered with some tape that plastic surgeons use so I didn’t need to dress/clean the wound. It would just dissolve.

Time to Go Home

By around 2-3pm, I was ready to go home. I still felt awful and slow and thought about staying one more day, but realized that the pain would be there for several days so it’s better to just go home now that I could somewhat manage to get out of bed.

I used the pillow I brought to cushion my wound from the seat belt and went home. As long as I sat still, I was okay.

My meds were stool softeners, Norco and Motrin. I was to alternate taking the Norco and Motrin every 3 hours.

My friend came over to visit and help me so that really encouraged me a lot. She has the same issues (if not more so since she’s anemic) and so I told her all about my surgery, recovery, etc.

Resting in My Bedroom

For the rest of the evening, I just sat in bed and tried not to move around too much or get up. Walking to the bathroom was a big challenge, however and the stool came in quite handy.

Sitting up still felt weird though. It’s as though my innards were readjusting, but that makes sense since I had a cantaloupe-sized mass removed!

Walking to the bathroom was really frustrating because I was in so much pain and all I was doing was walking across the hallway. I cried in the evening when I was really frustrated and even that hurt my wound, which made me cry more. It was a really tough day.