I’ve been eating eggs and oatmeal for breakfast for quite some time and I notice the difference when I eat a hearty breakfast vs. eating a skimpy one. Lots of people say that they skip breakfast…don’t do it! You’ll end up starting your day on the wrong foot.
Here’s my recipe for a crustless egg frittata. Note: I just eyeball things because I’m too lazy to measure the ingredients.
- Egg whites (I buy the kind in a carton)
- Veggies (spinach, frozen mixed veggies, green/red bell peppers, etc. Just don’t use anything watery like tomatoes)
- Seasoning – whatever you like. I use Mrs. Dash, basil, cilantro, green onions, pepper, etc. Avoid using salt (I’ll explain why later).
- Cheese (I use soy cheese or low fat cheese)
- Meat (try the homemade sausage, boil some turkey bacon to reduce the sodium, etc.)
- In a lightly greased 8×8 square glass pan, crack 4 eggs and mix it in. I use a spray like Pam to grease the pan.
- Add some veggies and the meat
- Pour some egg whites until it’s 2/3 full
- Put some cheese on top
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
The frittata will come out puffy like the picture, but when it cools down, it’ll flatten.
Add some guacamole and/or salsa for added sodium. You can also add some plain Greek yogurt or low sodium cottage cheese to make it creamy.